There is less than a week left before Christmas arrives and for many of us that means the push is on to get all those last minute things done. Wrapping, baking, cleaning, shopping, shopping, and shopping. It can be stressful and very tiring. Then there are all the holiday get-togethers that usually include late nights and alcohol. These combined can really run you down and when you get run down you’re immune system is lowered and before you know it you are sick.
One way to combat this is to start your day with a boost; a nutritious boost in the form of a smoothie. My usual recipe is to add a few cubes of ice, a banana and blueberries, ground flax or flax oil, bee pollen, hemp protein and some fruit juice and blend. Easy peasy. However, after discovering a great site called Making Love in the Kitchen by Meghan Telpner I’ve learned that a smoothie can be so much more.
Here are Meghan’s suggestions for a smoothie followed by her recipe for a power packed, energy rich, health supportive GREEN Smoothie.
- Goji berries as they are a superior source of antioxidants.
- Soaked almonds for their protein and calcium content.
- Chia seeds, for their amazing amino acid profile and omega 3 essential fatty acids that have a great anti-inflammatory effect.
- Cacao beans, one of the most powerful foods on earth, rich in antioxidants (maybe the most concentrated source available) and essential trace minerals.
- Depending on how I ate the previous day, I might also add in some flax- also a good source of protein and omega 3s, they are a lubricating source of fibre.
- Fresh or dried coconut, or a scoop of coconut oil- a super food that is anti-microbial, anti-parasitic and anti-viral. It also helps stabilize blood sugar.
- Pinch of cayenne to increase circulation which helps the body detoxify waste by increasing blood circulation to bring in fresh oxygen to the cells.
- Spirulina– this is a non-negotiable! This blue-green algae comes from the sea and is a superior source of protein. It is a powder so it requires very little energy to be digested and is amazingly rich in chlorophyll- a phytochemical that comes straight from the sun’s energy, helps detoxify and nourish the blood and therefore every cell of the body. In my opinion, this is one the best green foods we can eat.
- Sprouts– sprout your own or buy them, they are rich in protein and enzymes (details here). I like pea shoots the best as they are green and also for convenience, they stay very long in the fridge (about two weeks if not more!)
- Celery– great source of cellulose (fibre that does not get digested but just helps move things along) and helps with sodium balance in the cells
- Half a banana– adds some sweetness, potassium and creaminess
- And lots of water. I don’t like my smoothies that thick so I add a lot of water, and with all that fibre, the more water the better.
- Stevia– for a little sweetness without effecting blood sugar
Other things I may add in depending on what’s in my fridge- spinach, cucumber, zucchini, avocado and kale. I will sometimes change up the fruit- using mango or berries when they are in season. I have been known to throw in a wedge of lemon for vitamin C or some ginger if I feel cold, or rundown. But what you likely notice is that this is a very green smoothie. Yes! Yes it is. Too much fruit in the morning will spike your blood sugar levels and keep you craving sweets through the day. (Oops, I did not know that!)
Lean, mean and green is the way to go!
Super Powered Breakfast Smoothie
2 Tbs raw almonds (soaked if possible)
1 Tbs chia seeds
1 Tbs goji berries
1 Tbs raw cacao beans or nibs
1/2 Tbs spirulina
1 Tbs coconut (or 1/2 Tbs coconut oil)
1/4 – 1/3 cup sprouts
1-2 stalks of celery
pinch of cayenne
3 cups water
1 Tbs flaxseeds (optional and may need to pre-grind depending on the power of your blender)
- Throw in the blender and blend.
- Drink right away- all the fibre will start to absorb the water if you leave it too long)
Unfortunately I don’t have most of these ingredients in my cupboard yet which means…yep, more shopping. But once I have them I’ll be unstoppable!